• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshihiro Togashi Teases Hunter x Hunter Manga's Return Again

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarusa

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
For 3 more weeks of increasingly unfinished chapters before he goes on hiatus yet again.
Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Much as HxH is one of my all time fav, rather he'd stay alive. Nothing else matters given all the early demise of so many in recent years.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why he doesn't he just move the series over to a monthly or bi-annual magazine?
MV081199

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hope Togashi has a long life but not way he is going to finish HxH
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
I wonder why he doesn't he just move the series over to a monthly or bi-annual magazine?

Apparently there are rumors that HxH is leaving Weekly Jump, so you never know…
Matros

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
sarusa wrote:
For 3 more weeks of increasingly unfinished chapters before he goes on hiatus yet again.

"unfinished chapters"
If you're gonna lie at least try to be a bit more believable.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:

That's probably what Shueisha discussed with Togashi last year.
Wangen

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Just find your own Toyotaro already. Confused
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Togashi is on record that giving up drawing would be the same as giving up on being an artist. Not happening, ever. The last few years of the manga also feature the best art of his career. Takehiko Inoue-esque dare I say. His assistants do a lot of heavy lifting of course. I wouldn´t be surprised if the Succession Arc ended up being the best yet. The plot is as good as the Ant Arc and the art is much better. The manga´s best chapter and fight all happen after the anime

DBS´s art is as mediocre as it gets far too often and the layouts are a mess. Disregarding what I think of the plot. I know that Toriyama neither wrote the full plots for the manga nor did he do the layouts (Toriyama´s secret greatest skill) so the situation wouldn´t be comparable to Togashi stepping away from "just" drawing and focusing on writing and general art direction but HxH Super should be every fan´s worst nightmare. Only an option if he dies and enough notes exist to finish up an arc. He also already gave us 2 endings. The ending of the anime has been called a viable endpoint by Togashi himself, the protagonist´s character arc seems to have reached a conclusion and Togashi even gave us a decades-after epilogue scenario recently. What we have on our hands rn is Togashi working on his very own The New Shadow, the sequel to TLotR Tolkien abandoned. But we actually get to read it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Three more chapters, then another four year hiatus. End the manga already.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Do what you can, Togashi.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't work very hard either if I was married to the Sailor Moon lady
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:51 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
What we have on our hands rn is Togashi working on his very own The New Shadow, the sequel to TLotR Tolkien abandoned. But we actually get to read it!

No offense to Togashi, but abandoning that sequel was the best decision that Tolkien ever made. I only know the story as far as the end of the 2011 anime, but it blows my mind that Togashi would choose to embark on this massive expanded new phase of the series, when even he has to know that he'll never actually come close to finish it. At least not unless he has a massive change of heart and completely steps back from the drawing side of things, which as you've noted he's said is a nonstarter. At this point I think it would have been better for everyone if he'd left things at that natural endpoint.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I think what people have trouble grasping is that Togashi just loves making manga; he’s continuing the manga for his own pleasure, and why not? If he wants to do more chapters on his free time, that’s his prerogative. It’s weird how people get so upset about it.
kai.katsuya.1

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He has since posted on Thursday a picture of two more manuscripts, one with the number 6 and the other with 7, hinting at progress with chapters 406 and 407.

Far more likely those were actually pages 6 and 7 of chapter 405, since that's how it went last time he posted updates on twitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2